Visual merchandising can make or break a business. Retailers usually take advantage of the five human senses to dictate to a large degree the consumer experience while in the store.
- Hearing; Back ground music sets the tone when a customer walks into the store and is perusing through the aisles.
- Smell; Aromatic scents are mood enhancers and have the ability to make a customer linger longer in the store perusing more aisles and buy more
- Touch; Items on display should be clean and within reach
- Speech; Knowledgeable and engaging staff members across the aisle are a big factor in offering assistance which leads to sales
- Visuals; Perhaps the most important is sight, how your store is arranged and how various products are merchandised is a huge influencing factor in enticing customers to buy.
All the above working in tandem make for a pleasant shopping experience for a customer causing them to want to keep coming back to your brand. Amongst the five senses, visual happens to be the most psychologically impactful in merchandising.
Let’s explore how you can take advantage of a shopper’s psychological aspects to impact your merchandising efforts
1. In store digital signage
Digital signs placed in strategic points in the store where the customers are likely to consume the digital content have proved to work well in most retail stores.
These screens can share pertinent information like discounts and sales, consumer news, product launch and so forth while a customer is in queue waiting to be served. It provides a way for the brand to engage with the customer.
2. Ratings and Reviews
More than ever, consumers aren’t willing to buy a product if it does not have great reviews. Having your customers give honest reviews and rate your products gives other consumer confidence to buy your product without any misgivings. These reviews can be shared through digital in store signage.
3. Knowledgeable staff
No customer wants to look around for help and find nobody to offer assistance. Retail stores want to ensure that every aisle is covered by a personable, knowledgeable and engaging individual. The store needs to know their peak hours and staff accordingly. This might mean ensuring breaks are taken earlier in order to increase staff presence on the floor during the peak hour of the day.
These consumer visual psychological aspects, if taken advantage of, will play a huge role in positively rewarding your visual merchandising efforts with increased sales.
— UberDigit (@UberDigit) 26 de mayo de 2017